Take Your Mom Hiking (in 3 Easy Steps)
Moms are the best. So, plan to take her hiking using our 3-step guide: pick a great hike, pack a picnic, capture the moment.
Think about the awesome mom (or moms) in your life. Think about how much she did for you. She showed you how to lace up your shoes and boots. She introduced you to basic first aid. She taught you to move through the world safely (don't walk too close to the edge of that cliff) and with care (pick up your trash).
Moms are the best. So, plan to take her hiking using our easy-peasy 3-step guide below.
1. Pick a great hike
- Want to give her sunshine and wildflowers? Head to the desert. (And use the May-Aug wildflower guide below to help you identify flowers.)
- Take her to a waterfall.
- Make it more of a stroll with one of these easy hikes that are great for families with kids.
- Is your mom of the intrepid variety? Take her backpacking on the Olympic Peninsula.
2. Pack her a picnic. A proper one.
- Keep it simple or pour your love into homemade granola bars.
- Surprise her with an unexpected treat, something you wouldn't usually find on trail, like ice cream or strawberries . (Just be sure to pack out ALL your trash.)
- It may weigh a little more when you add it to the ten essentials in your pack, but a picnic blanket makes everything feel fancy.
3. Capture the moment
- Don't forget your camera! These are moments you will want to remember.
Have you already made plans, but love the idea of giving your Mom a hike for Mother's Day?