What is Hike-a-Thon?
Hike-a-Thon is a community fundraising event that gives hikers the opportunity to raise funds for Washington Trails Association. Throughout August, Hike-a-Thon participants hike, share stories of their outdoor adventures, and raise funds that directly support trails in Washington.
After registering, participants set up and customize their own fundraising webpage (provided by WTA) and share the page with friends, family, or anyone else wanting to support trails in Washington. Participants can raise one time donations or receive donations per mile or per hike.
Is there a registration fee?
No! Registering for Hike-a-Thon is free.
Once you raise $20, you will receive a 2021 Hike-a-Thon t-shirt. You are welcome to get your fundraising started by donating $20 yourself.
HOW DO I REGISTER?
Participants should first register as individuals, then you want to create a team of two to ten people, email Miles the Marmot at email@example.com to have your team created. When you register, you’ll be asked which category of hiker you identify as. Whether you are participating as an individual or on a team, the category you select will qualify you for prizes!
- New to Hike-a-Thon: For hikers who have not participated in Hike-a-Thon before as a hiking participant. If you have made a contribution in the past to someone else's Hike-a-Thon page but not participated as a hiker, you may enter this category.
- Young hikers: Those under the age of 18 should register as <13 or 13-18 to compete against similar hikers for Most Miles Hiked.
- Seniors: Hikers 65 years and older should register as Seniors to compete against similar hikers for Most Miles Hiked.
- Hikers Experiencing Disabilities: This category is for hikers who experience a disability or who have mobility concerns. Accessible Nature is a great resource to find new trails.
- Trail Runner: Trail runners log a lot more miles than average hikers, so we made you your own category for Most Miles Hiked!
- Thru Hiker: For those hiking a long distances.
What prizes can I win?
Prizes are awarded to leaders in different categories - such as number of miles hiked, amount of money raised, and number of trips reported on WTA’s Hiking Guide. Prizes for 2021 will be announced in July.
When you register, decide if you’d like to participate as an individual or create/join a team (of two to ten people). You’ll also be asked which category of hiker you personally identify. The category you select will qualify you for prizes!
Who can hike for Hike-a-Thon?
Anyone who loves to hike can participate in Hike-a-Thon! There are no age restrictions.
Can I hike as part of a team?
Yes! Teams of two to ten members are allowed. You’ll create a personal webpage for your entire team which displays your team's fundraising goal. When you register, follow the directions to create a team.
If you would like to hike as a family, simply register your family members as a team.
Do my Hike-a-Thon donors become WTA members?
Yes! Any donation is eligible for WTA membership. All donations made to Washington Trails Association through Hike-a-Thon are fully tax-deductible.
Do I need to hike on named trails in order to log hiking miles?
No! To promote the many different ways hikers connect with nature, Hike-a-Thon miles do not need to be on a named trail.
Can I hike in other states and countries for Hike-a-Thon - or only in Washington?
Any mile hiked anywhere in the world can count as a Hike-a-Thon mile.
Will my participation be matched by my employer?
Many companies will match participation in cause-related events. Check with your employer’s HR department. Some companies, such as Microsoft, will match your hours spent towards your Hike-a-Thon campaign. If so, the donations made on your behalf by your company will count towards your Hike-a-Thon fundraising goal.
Can my company sponsor Hike-a-Thon?
Yes! Sponsorship opportunities are always available for any business that wants to support the event. Contact Taylor O'Leary at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
Have a question not answered here?
Email us! We'd love to hear from you. Contact Miles the Marmot at email@example.com.